COMMUNITY ACTION COMMITTEE
Mission: Social Outreach and Ministry to the Needy of our Parish
This committee receives funds from the envelopes marked “Poor Box” found at the back of church and in packets mailed to parishioners.
1. SUPPORT FOR UNITED CHURCHES OF ALGIERS … composed of many local churches of all faiths dedicated to serving the poor with such items as clothing and food. Items collected at rear of church go to this cause. Volunteers from St. Andrew work at the food bank and collect the food donated by our parish. An average of 10,000 items per year were donated by our parish over the past 5 years.
2. SUPPORT FOR THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED … through Meals on Wheels sponsored by New Orleans Council on Aging and St. Michael’s Special School.
3. SUPPORT FOR THE POOR AND HOMELESS … through Ozanam Inn, and the Pennies for Bread program at St. Joseph’s Abbey, and the Fr. Harry Thomson Center in downtown New Orleans.
4. DIRECT FINANCIAL AID TO PARISHIONERS IN NEED … each case carefully screened by our Pastor and in utmost confidentiality.
5. BEREAVEMENT COMMITTEE … provides food and refreshments to families of deceased parish members at no cost … usually at a family member’s home after the funeral services.
6. THE SICK AND SHUT-IN PARISHIONER … extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion take the Eucharist to parishioners who cannot get out due to sickness or age.
7. ANNUAL THANKSGIVING BASKET DRIVE AND CHRISTMAS GIFT GIVING … provides food baskets at Thanksgiving and clothing for needy children of community at Christmas time … assisted by Ladies Guild and St. Andrew school children. Over 1400 gifts were distributed for Christmas in the past five years.
8. ST. ANDREW SCHOOL A VITAL PARTNER … students aid us in such causes as food and clothing drives, preparing sandwiches for homeless shelters, and winter coat collections. Our school children are always ready to help the poor.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED TO HELP IN OUR FOOD COLLECTION PROGRAM, AT CHRISTMAS WITH THE COLLECTION OF GIFTS, AND EXPECIALLY IN OUR BEREAVEMENT COMMITTEE TO HELP PREPARE FOOD TO BE USED WHEN CALLED ON. YOU CAN CONTACT US BY EITHER CALLING THE RECTORY AT 393-2334 OR DON NOLAN 392-0593.
FOOD BANK IS ALWAYS IN NEED OF FOOD DONATIONS … PLEASE HELP!